Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Sandra M Villafuerte, Ph.D.
- 2000-2006, Postdoctoral Training - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1996-2001, Graduate studies, Doctor in Science (Ph.D.) - University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
- 1993-1995, Master Degree in Medical & Pharmaceutical Research, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
- 1985-1987, Licentiate in Pharmacy, Catholic University 'Santa Maria', Arequipa, Peru
- 1979-1985, Bachelor in Pharmacy and Biochemistry, Catholic University 'Santa Maria', Arequipa, Peru
- Genetics of behavior and personality
- Genetics of risk factors in the development of Alcohol Use Disorders
- Genetics of circadian rhythms
- Genetics of mental health and cardiovascular disease
- Research Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
Recent or Representative Publications:
- S Villafuerte, M M. Heitzeg, S Foley, W-Wendy Yau, K Majczenko, J-K Zubieta, R A. Zucker, M Burmeister (2012). Impulsiveness and Insula activation during reward anticipation are associated with genetic variants in GABRA2 in a family sample enriched for alcoholism, Molecular Psychiatry 17 (5): 511-519.
- Villafuerte SM, Vallabhaneni K, Śliwerska E, McMahon FJ, Young EA, Burmeister M (2009) SSRI response in depression may be influenced by SNPs in HTR1B and HTR1A. Psychiatric Genetics, Dec;19(6):281-91
- Sen S, Villafuerte S, Nesse R, Stoltenberg SF, Hopcian J, Gleiberman L, Weder A and Burmeister M (2004). Serotonin transporter and GABAA alpha 6 receptor variants are associated with neuroticism. Biol Psychiatry, Feb 1; 55(3):244-9.
- Villafuerte SM, Del-Favero J, Adolfsson R, Mendlewicz J, Van Broeckhoven C, Claes S. (2002) Construction of a SNP map in the Corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor-2, and association analysis for Major depression. Am J Med Genet. Mar 8;114(2):222-6.