Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Maria Muzik, MD, MSc
- M.D., 1989, University of Vienna
- M.S., 2009, University of Michigan
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy License, Austrian Ministry of Health
- Residency in Adult Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Vienna, Austria
- Residency in Adult Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor MI
- Infant Mental Health Certificate, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Certifications: 2006, Adult Psychiatry
- Perinatal Psychiatry: Depression and Anxiety during pregnancy and postpartum
- Prevention and Therapy of Mother-Infant relationship and attachment disturbances
- Impact of maternal/family psychiatric illness on early child development
- Trauma, Stress & Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during childbearing years
- Neurobiology of Stress, Depression and PTSD
- Parent-Infant Relationships in Postpartum Depression and Anxiety Disorders; Infant Attachment Disorders
- Precursors of early infant stress and emotion regulation
- Assistant Research Scientist, Center for Human Growth & Development, University of Michigan
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Klier, C.M.& Muzik, M. (2004). Mother-Infant Bonding Disorders and the Use of the Parental Bonding Questionnaire in clinical practice. World Psychiatry 3: 102-103.
- Bifulco A., Figuerido B., Guedeney N., Gorman L., Hayes S., Muzik M., Glatigny-Dallay E., Valoriani V., Kammerer M. & Henshaw C. (2004). Maternal attachment style and depression associated with childbirth: preliminary results from a European and US cross-cultural study. Br J Psychiatry 184 (Suppl 46): 31-37.
- Rosenblum, K.L., McDonough, S., Muzik, M., Miller, A., & Sameroff, A.J. (2002) Maternal Representations of the Infant: Effects on Infant Response to the Still Face. Child Development, 73/4: 999-1015.
- Muzik, M., Klier, C., Rosenblum, K.L., Holzinger, A., Umek, W.& Katschnig, H. (2000). Are commonly used self-report inventories suitable for screening postpartum depression and anxiety disorders? Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 102, 71-73.