Department of Psychiatry Faculty
John F. McCarthy, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- B.A., Brandeis University (1987)
- M.P.H., University of Michigan, Health Behavior and Health Education (1996)
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Health Services Organization and Policy (2002)
- Access to care for individuals with serious mental illness
- Long-term care for individuals with serious mental illness
- Service needs of individuals with late-onset schizophrenia
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
- Research Investigator, National VA Serious Mental Illness Treatment Research and Evaluation Center
Recent or Representative Publications:
- McCarthy JF, Piette JD, Fortney JC, Valenstein M, Blow FC. Outpatient Visit Chaining among Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Medical Care, 44(3):257-264, 2006.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Valenstein M, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Barry KL, Hudson TJ, Ignacio RI. VA Health System and Mental Health Treatment Retention Among Patients With Serious Mental Illness: Evaluating Accessibility and Availability Barriers. Health Services Research. 42(3, Pt 1):1042-1060, 2007.
- McCarthy JF, Bambauer KZ, Austin K, Jordan N, Valenstein M. Treatment for New Episodes of Depression. Psychiatric Services 58(8):1035, 2007.
- Kilbourne AM, Rofey DL, McCarthy JF, Post E, Welsh D, Blow FC. Nutrition and Exercise Behavior among Patients with Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disorders. 9(5):443-452, 2007.
- McCarthy JF, Valenstein M, Blow FC. Residential Mobility Among Patients in the VA Health System: Associations with Psychiatric Morbidity, Geographic Accessibility, and Continuity of Care. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 34(5):448-455, 2007.
- Himelhoch S, McCarthy JF, Ganoczy D, Medoff D, Dixon L, Blow FC. Understanding Associations between Serious Mental Illness and HIV among Patients in the VA Health System. Psychiatric Services. 58(9):1165-1172, 2007.
- Kales HC, Valenstein M, Kim HM, McCarthy JF, Ganoczy D, Blow FC, Cunningham F. Mortality Risk in Patients with Dementia Treated with Antipsychotics versus Other Psychiatric Medications. American Journal of Psychiatry. 164(10):1568-1576, 2007.