Department of Psychiatry Faculty
John F. McCarthy, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- B.A., Brandeis University (1987)
- M.P.H., University of Michigan, Health Behavior and Health Education (1996)
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Health Services Organization and Policy (2002)
- Access and quality of care among Veterans with mental illness
- Suicide risk and suicide prevention
- Mental health program evaluation
- Mental health services operations and performance assessment
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
- Director, VA Serious Mental Illness Treatment Resource and Evaluation Center
Recent or Representative Publications:
- McCarthy JF, Banaszak-Holl JC, Fries BE. Medical Director Involvement in Nursing Homes, 1992 - 1996. The Annals of Long Term Care, 7(2): 35-43, 1999.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Kales HC. Disruptive Behaviors Among VA Nursing Home Residents: How Different Are Residents With Serious Mental Illness? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 52(12):2031-2038, 2004.
- McCarthy JF, Piette JD, Fortney JC, Valenstein M, Blow FC. Outpatient Visit Chaining among Patients with Serious Mental Illness. Medical Care, 44(3):257-264, 2006.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Valenstein M, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Barry KL, Hudson TJ, Ignacio RV. VA Health System and Mental Health Treatment Retention Among Patients With Serious Mental Illness: Evaluating Accessibility and Availability Barriers. Health Services Research. 42(3, Pt 1):1042-1060, 2007.
- McCarthy JF, Zivin K, Austin KL, Kales HC, Valenstein M. 2008. Does Consideration of Medicare Use Affect VA Evaluations of Depression Treatment Quality? Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 35(6): 468-476
- McCarthy JF, Valenstein M, Dixon L, Visnic S, Blow FC, Slade E. 2009. Initiation of Assertive Community Treatment Among Veterans With Serious Mental Illness: Client and Program Factors. Psychiatric Services. 60(2):196-201.
- McCarthy JF, Valenstein M, Kim HM, Ilgen M, Zivin K, Blow FC. 2009. Suicide Mortality Among Patients Receiving Care in the Veterans Health Administration Health System. American Journal of Epidemiology. 169(8):1033-1038.
- Slade EP, McCarthy JF, Valenstein M, Visnic S, Dixon LB. 2013. Cost Savings from Assertive Community Treatment Services in an Era of Declining Psychiatric Inpatient Use. Health Services Research. 48(1):195-217.
- Szymanski BR, Bohnert KM, Zivin K, McCarthy JF. 2013. Integrated Care: Treatment Initiation Following Positive Depression Screens. Journal of General Internal Medicine 28(3):346-352.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Ignacio RV, Ilgen MA, Austin KL, Valenstein M. 2012. Suicide Among Patients in the Veterans Affairs Health System: Rural-Urban Differences in Rates, Risks and Methods. American Journal of Public Health. 102:S111-117.
- McCarthy JF, Szymanski BR, Karlin BE, Katz IR. 2013. Suicide Mortality Following Nursing Home Discharge in the Department of Veterans Affairs Health System. American Journal of Public Health. 103(12):2261-2266
- McCarthy JF, Ilgen MA, Austin K, Blow FC, Katz IR. 2014. Associations Between Body Mass Index and Suicide in the Veterans Affairs Health System. Obesity. 22(1):269-276.
- Pomerantz AS, Kearney LK, Wray LO, Post EP, McCarthy JF. 2014. Mental Health Services in the Medical Home in the Department of Veterans Affairs: Factors for Successful Integration. Psychological Services. 11(3):243-53.