Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Laura D. Hirshbein, MD, PhD
Phone: (734) 936-4960
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, Institute of the History of Medicine, 2000
- MD, University of Michigan School of Medicine, 1997
- BA, Oberlin College, 1989
- Emergency Psychiatry
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- History of Psychiatry
- Health Services Research
- Clinical Assistant Professor
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "History, Memory, and Profession: A View of American Psychiatry Through the APA Presidents, 1844-2004," American Journal of Psychiatry 161 (2004): 1755-63.
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "Biology and Mental Illness: A Historical Perspective," Journal of the American Medical Woman's Association 58 (2003): 89-94.
- Laura Davidow Hirshbein, "The Senile Mind: Psychology and Old Age in the 1930s and 1940s," Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences 38 (2002): 43-56.
- Laura Davidow Hirshbein, "William Osler and The Fixed Period: Conflicting Medical and Popular Ideas about Old Age," Archives of Internal Medicine 161 (2001): 2074-8.
- Laura Davidow Hirshbein, "'Normal' Aging, Senility, and the American Geriatrics Society in the 1940s" Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences 55 (2000): 337-362.