Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Laura D. Hirshbein, MD, PhD
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, Institute of the History of Medicine, 2000
- MD, University of Michigan School of Medicine, 1997
- BA, Oberlin College, 1989
- Inpatient psychiatry
- Emergency psychiatry
- History of Psychiatry
- Health Policy
- Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Laura D. Hirshbein, American Melancholy: Constructions of Depression in the Twentieth Century. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 2009. (Critical Issues in Health and Medicine series)
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "Scientific Research and Corporate Influence: Smoking, Mental Illness, and the Tobacco Industry," Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences 67 (2012): 374-397.
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "Looking Back to the Future of Psychopharmacology," Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases 200 (2012): 1109-1112.
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "'Our Little Patients': A History of Hospitalized Children at the University of Michigan, 1890-2011," Journal of Family History 38 (2013): 321-343.
- Laura D. Hirshbein, "Politics, Profit, and Psychiatric Diagnosis: A Case Study of Tobacco Use Disorder," American Journal of Public Health 104 (2014): 2076-2084.
- Laura D. Hirshbein, Smoking Privileges: Psychiatry, the Mentally Ill, and the Tobacco Industry in America. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 2015. (Critical Issues in Health and Medicine series)