Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Mary M. Heitzeg, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., in Psychology, University of Michigan
- Developmental neuroimaging
- Vulnerability factors in substance abuse
- Functional neuroimaging of genetic variation
- Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Heitzeg MM, Nigg JT, Yau WY, Zucker RA, Zubieta JK: Striatal dysfunction marks preexisting risk and medial prefrontal dysfunction is related to problem drinking in children of alcoholics. Biol. Psychiatry 68(3): 287-295, 2010.
- Yau WY, Zubieta JK, Weiland BJ, Samudra PG, Zucker RA, Heitzeg MM: Nucleus accumbens response to incentive stimuli anticipation in children of alcoholics: relationships with precursive behavioral risk and lifetime alcohol use. J. Neurosci. 32(7): 2544-2551, 2012.
- Glaser YG, Zubieta JK, Hsu DT, Villafuerte S, Mickey BJ, Trucco EM, Burmeister M, Zucker RA, Heitzeg MM: Indirect effect of corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor 1 gene variation on negative emotionality and alcohol use via right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. J. Neurosci. 34(11): 4099-4107, 2014.
- Hardee JE, Weiland BJ, Nichols TE, Welsh RC, Soules ME, Steinberg DB, Zubieta JK, Zucker RA, Heitzeg MM: Development of impulse control circuitry in children of alcoholics. Biological psychiatry 76(9): 708-16, 2014.
- Heitzeg MM, Nigg JT, Hardee JE, Soules M, Steinberg D, Zubieta JK, Zucker RA: Left middle frontal gyrus response to inhibitory errors in children prospectively predicts early problem substance use. Drug and alcohol dependence 141: 51-7, 2014.
- Heitzeg MM, Villafuerte S, Weiland BJ, Enoch MA, Burmeister M, Zubieta JK, Zucker RA: Effect of GABRA2 genotype on development of incentive-motivation circuitry in a sample enriched for alcoholism risk. Neuropsychopharmacology 39(13): 3077-86, 2014.
- Heitzeg MM, Cope LM, Martz ME, Hardee JE: Neuroimaging Risk Markers for Substance Abuse: Recent Findings on Inhibitory Control and Reward System Functioning. Current addiction reports 2(2): 91-103, 2015.
- Heitzeg MM, Cope LM, Martz ME, Hardee JE, Zucker RA: Brain activation to negative stimuli mediates a relationship between adolescent marijuana use and later emotional functioning. Dev Cogn Neurosci 16:71-83, 2015.
- Weiland BJ, Zucker RA, Zubieta JK, Heitzeg MM: Striatal dopaminergic reward response relates to age of first drunkenness and feedback response in at-risk youth. Addict Biol. early view: online, 2016.
- Martz ME, Trucco EM, Cope LM, Hardee JE, Jester JM, Zucker RA, Heitzeg MM: Marijuana Use and Blunted Nucleus Accumbens Response to Reward Anticipation: Prospective Effects Over Four Years in Early Adulthood. JAMA Psychiatry. (In Press)