Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Nicholas D. Giardino, Ph.D.
Phone: (734) 769-7100, ext. 7042
- Ph.D., Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ (Clinical Psychology)
- B.S., Brown University, Providence, RI (Psychology)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Neuroimaging Research Group, Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Anxiety disorders
- Functional somatic syndromes
- Anxiety in chronic medical illness
- Respiratory psychophysiology
- Psychological determinants of disability in chronic lung diseases
- Brain-body interaction in anxiety disorders
- Mechanisms of exposure therapy
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Giardino, N. D., Lehrer, P. M., & Edelberg, R. (2002). Comparison of finger plethysmograph to ECG in the spectral analysis of heart rate variability. Psychophysiology, 39, 246-253
- Giardino, N. D., Schmaling, K. B., & Afari, N. (2002). Relationship satisfaction moderates the association between catastrophic cognitions and asthma symptoms. Journal of Asthma, 39, 749-756.
- Giardino, N. D., Glenny, R. W., Borson, S., & Chan, L. (2003). Respiratory sinus arrhythmia is associated with the efficiency of pulmonary gas exchange in healthy humans. American Journal of Physiology. Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 284, H1585-H1591.
- Giardino, N. D., Chan, L., & Borson, S. (2004). Combined heart rate variability and pulse oximetry biofeedback for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A feasibility study. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 29, 121-133.