Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Simon J. Evans, Ph.D.
Phone: (734) 936-2036
- Ph.D. (1999), Oregon State University, Molecular and Cellular Biology
- B.S. (1989), Western Washington University, Biology
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Stress and Anxiety Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Molecular neurobiology of psychiatric illness
- Role of hypothalamic dopamine in stress and reproductive behavior
- Interaction between nutrition and psychiatric illness
- Research Assistant Professor
Recent or Representative Publications:
- SJ Evans, PV Choudary, CR Neal, JZ Li, MP Vawter, H Tomita, JF Lopez, RC Thompson, F Meng, JD Stead, DM Walsh, RM Meyers, WE Bunney, SJ Watson, EG Jones and H Akil. (2004) Dysregulation of the Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF) system in Major Depression. PNAS 101(43):15506-11.
- M. Kabbaj, S. Evans, S.J. Watson and H. Akil. (2004) The Search for the Neurobiological Basis of Vulnerability to Drug Abuse: Using Microarrays to Investigate the Role of Stress and Individual Differences. Neuropharmacology 47, (suppl 1):111-22.
- SJ Evans, PV Choudary, MP Vawter, J Li, JH Meador-Woodruff, JF Lopez, SM Burke, RC Thompson, RM Myers, EG Jones, WE Bunney, SJ Watson, and H Akil. (2003) DNA Microarray Analysis of Functionally Discrete Human Brain Regions Reveals Divergent Transcriptional Profiles. Neurobiol. Dis. 14:240-250.
- SJ Evans, NA Datson, M Kabbaj, E Vreugendhil, RC Thompson, ER DeKloet, SJ Watson and H Akil. (2002) Evaluation of Affymetrix Gene Chip Sensitivity in Hippocampus using SAGE Analysis. Eur. J. Neurosci. 16:409-413.