Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Cynthia Ewell Foster, Ph.D.
Phone: 734 764 7268
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: University of Michigan, Department of Psychiatry, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Clinical Internship: Children’s Hospitals and Clinics, Department of Psychology, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Child and Family Subspecialty; Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
- B.A. (Psychology; Conferred with High Honors, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa), Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee.
- Evidence-based treatments for depression in children and adolescents.
- Working with parents to treat behavior problems in young children.
- Psycho-educational assessment (e.g., ADHD, Learning Disabilities) and school-based consultation.
- Risk factors for depression and suicide in children and adolescents
- Intervention and prevention of youth depression and suicide.
- University-community partnerships to increase awareness about children’s mental health needs, decrease stigma about mental health and its treatment, and increase mental health service utilization.
- Clinical Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Ewell Foster, C.J., Webster, M., Weissman, M., Pilowsky, D.J., Wickramaratne, P., et al., (2008). Course and severity of maternal depression: Associations with family functioning and child adjustment. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 37, 906-916.
- Ewell Foster, C., Garber, J., & Durlak, J.A. (2008). Relations among current and past maternal depression, maternal interaction behavior, and adolescents’ externalizing and internalizing symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36, 527-537.
- Ewell Foster, C.J., Webster, M., Weissman, M., Pilowsky, D.J., Wickramaratne, P., et al., (2008). Remission of Maternal Depression: Relations to family functioning and youth internalizing and externalizing symptoms. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 37, 714-724.
- King, Cheryl A., Kerr, David C. R., Passarelli, Michael N., Ewell Foster, Cynthia, Merchant, Christopher R.. (2010) One Year Follow-up of Suicidal Adolescents: Parent History of Mental Health Problems and Time to Post-Hospitalization Attempt. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39, 219-32.