Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Stephen Chermack, Ph.D.
Phone: (734) 845-3908
- Kent State University (Ph.D., Clinical Psychology)
- Kent State University (M.A., Clinical Psychology)
- State University of New York at Buffalo (B.A., Psychology)
- Substance use screening and brief interventions in medical care settings
- Developing Violence Therapy for Substance Abusers
- Mental Health And Substance Abuse Health Services Utilization, Treatment Engagement And Outcomes
- Assistant Professor. Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School
- Chief, Outpatient Mental Health Clinic. Psychiatry Service, VA Ann Arbor Health Care System
- Chief, Outpatient Substance Abuse Clinic. Psychiatry Service, VA Ann Arbor Health Care System
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Chermack, S.T., Booth, B.M., Curran, G.M. (2006). Gender Differences in Correlates of Recent Physical Assault among Untreated Rural and Urban At-Risk Drinkers: Role of Depression. Violence and Victims, 21, 67-80.
- Wryobeck, J.W., Chermack, S.T., Closser, M.H., Blow, F.C. (2006). Using the Addiction Severity Index to Predict Mental and Medical Health Service Utilization. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 25, 1-14.
- Chermack, S.T., Wryobeck, J.M., Walton, M.A., Blow, F.C. (2006). Distal And Proximal Factors Related To Aggression Severity Among Patients In Substance Abuse Treatment: Family History, Alcohol Use And Expectancies. Addictive Behaviors, 31, 845-858.
- Barry KL, Milner K, Blow FC, Impens A, Welsh D, Amash J. Screening for psychiatric emergency department patients with major mental illnesses and at-risk drinking, Psychiatric Services 57(7):1039-42, 2006
- Blow FC, Barry KL, Walton MA, Maio R, Chermack ST, Bingham CR, Ignacio RV, Strecher V. The efficacy of brief tailored alcohol messages among injured at risk drinkers in the emergency department, Journal of Studies on Alcohol 67(4):568-78, 2006.
- Healy D, Barry K, Blow F, Welsh D, Milner K. Routine use of the Beck Scale for suicidal ideation in a psychiatric emergency department. General Hospital Psychiatry. 28:323-29, 2006.
- Blow, FC, Serras AM, Barry KL. Late-life depression and alcoholism. Current PsychiatryReports. 9(1):568-78., February 2007.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Valenstein M, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Barry KL, Hudson T, Ignacio RV. Health system treatment retention among patients with Serious Mental Illness: Evaluating accessibility and availability barriers. Health Serv Res 42(3 Pt 1):1042-60, June 2007.
- Irmiter C., McCarthy JF, Barry KL, Soliman S, Blow FC (2007). Reinstitutionalization following psychiatric discharges of patients with serious mental illness: A national longitudinal study. Psychiatr Q. Sept, 2007.
- Barry KL, Blow FC. Substance Safety. In Health Promotion. In Gorin SS & Arnold J (Eds.), Health Promotion in Practice. (San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2006), 329-360.
- Barry KL, Blow FC. Substance Use Disorders in Older Adults. In Directions in Addiction Treatment & Prevention, Hatherleigh Press (in press).