Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Paul R. Burghardt, PhD
- University of South Carolina, School of Medicine
- University of South Carolina, School of Public Health
- Neurobehavioral and hormonal systems that regulate mood, motivation, and metabolism
- Effects of exercise and nutrition on brain health and function
- Neurobiology of stress and resiliency
- Individual differences in adherence to prevention and treatment strategies
- Research Investigator, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Burghardt, PR; Love, TM; Enoch, MA; Goldman, D; Zubieta, JK. Leptin influences mesolimbic dopamine response to stress in humans. J. Neuroscience. October 30, 2012. 32(44). 15369-15376.
- Lott SA, Burghardt PR, Burghardt KJ, Bly MJ, Grove TB, Ellingrod VL. Influence of Metabolic Syndrome, Physical Activity, and Genotype on Catechol-O-Methyl Transferase Promoter-Region Methylation in Schizophrenia. The Pharmacogenomics Journal. EPub: March, 2012. PMID: 22391769.
- Burghardt, PR; Flagel, SB; Burghardt KJ; Britton, SL; Koch, LG; Watson, SJ; Akil, H. Risk-assessment and coping strategies segregate with low intrinsic aerobic capacity. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2011 Jan;36(2):390-401.. PMCID: PMC3005980.
- Burghardt, P.R., Fulk, L.J., Hand, G.A., Wilson, M.A. The effects of chronic treadmill and wheel running on behavior in rats. Brain Research. 2004, 1019: 84-96. PMID: 15306242.