Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Anthony King, Ph.D.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. PhD (Molecular & Integrative Physiology)
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. MS (Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association accreditation)
- Fielding Graduate University, Santa Barbara, CA. PhD (Clinical Psychology, American Psychological Association accreditation)
- Clinical Psychology Internship: University of Michigan – Mary Rackham Institute Internship program (Adult Psychological Clinic and University Center for the Child and the Family; American Psychological Association accreditation)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Michigan, Dept. of Psychiatry
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, and other trauma-related disorders
- Major Depression
- Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Mind-Body Interventions for Anxiety and Trauma
- Self-Compassion in treatments for Depression and Anxiety
- Neurobiology and Neuroimaging of PTSD
- Genetics of PTSD, and Gene x Environment Interaction in Psychiatric Risk and Resilience
- Neurocircuitry of Cognitive-Emotional Regulation
- Neuroimaging of Mindfulness-based Interventions and Meditation
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Liberzon, I.*, King, A.P.*, Britton, J.C., Phan, K-L., Abelson, J., Taylor, S., (2007) Paralimbic and Medial Prefrontal Cortical Involvement in Neuroendocrine Responses to Traumatic Stimuli American Journal of Psychiatry, 164:1250–1258. *these authors contributed equally to this paper PMID: 17671289
- King, A.P., Leichtman, J., Abelson, J.L., Liberzon, I., & Seng, J.S. (2008). Ecological salivary cortisol analysis: Relative impact of trauma history, posttraumatic stress, comorbidity, chronic stress, and known confounds on hormone levels. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 14, 285-296.
- King, A.P., Abelson, J., Britton, J.C., Phan, KL, Liberzon, I. (2009) Medial prefrontal cortex and right insula activity predict plasma ACTH response to trauma recall. NeuroImage, 47(3):872-80. PMID: 19501653
- King, A.P. and Liberzon, I. (2009) Assessing the Neuroendocrine Stress Response in the Functional Neuroimaging Context. NeuroImage, 47(3):1116-24. PMID: 19481160
- Sripada R.K., King A.P., Garfinkel S.N., Wang X., Sripada C.S., Welsh R.C., Liberzon I. (2012). Neural dysregulation in posttraumatic stress disorder: Evidence for disrupted equilibrium between salience and default mode brain networks. Psychosomatic Medicine 74(9):904-11. PMID: 23115342
- King, A.P., Erickson, T., Giardino, N., Rauch, S.A.M. & Liberzon, I. (2013). Pilot study of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy with patients with combat posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Depression & Anxiety 30(7):638-45. PMID: 23596092
- Sripada RK, Marx CE, King AP, Rampton JC, Ho SS, Liberzon I. (2013). Allopregnanolone Elevations Following Pregnenolone Administration Are Associated with Enhanced Activation of Emotion Regulation Neurocircuits. Biological Psychiatry 73(11):1045-53 PMID: 23348009
- Kitayama, S., King, A.P., Yoon, C., Tompson, S., Huff, S., & Liberzon, I. Kitayama, S, King, A.P., Yoon, C., & Liberzon, I (2014). The Dopamine Receptor Gene (DRD4) Moderates Cultural Difference in Self-Construal In press. Psychological Science 18;25(6):1169-1177. PMID: 24747168
- Liberzon, I.*, King, A.P.*, Ressler, K., Amli, L., Zhang, P., Galea, S., Calabrese, J., (2014). Interaction of ADRB2 gene and Childhood Adversity in Risk for Adult PTSD. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(10):1174-82.. *these authors contributed equally. PMID: 25162199
- Garfinkel SN, Abelson JL, King AP, Sripada RK, Wang X, Gaines LM, Liberzon I. (2014). Impaired Contextual Modulation of Memories in PTSD: An fMRI and Psychophysiological Study of Extinction Retention and Fear Renewal. Journal of Neuroscience, 34(40):13435-43. PMID: 25274821
- King A.P., Abelson, JA, Gholami, B, Upchurch, G, Henke, P, Graham, L., & Liberzon, I., Pre-surgical Psychological and Neuroendocrine Predictors of Psychiatric Morbidity Following Major Vascular Surgery: A Prospective Longitudinal Study. (in press, Psychosomatic Medicine).
- Rauch, SAM, King A.P., Tuerk, P, Smith, E, Rothbaum, B.O., Abelson, J., Defever, E., Defever, A., Liberzon, I. (2015). Changes in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Randomized Trial of Prolonged Exposure and Present Centered Therapy with Combat Veterans Depression and Anxiety (in Press).
- Javanbhaht, A.*, King A.P.*, Swain, J., Evans, G., Liberzon, I. Childhood Socioeconomic Status Predicts Adult Neural Correlates of Social Cognition of Aversive Faces. *these authors contributed equally. (in press, Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience).
- Kitayama, S., King A.P., Ming, H., Liberzon, I. Dopamine-System Genes and Cultural Acquisition: The Norm Sensitivity Hypothesis (in press).