Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Robert A. Zucker, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.
Phone: (734) 232-0280
- 1958-1966 Harvard University; Ph.D. (clinical psychology)
- 1956-1958 U.C.L.A. (psychology and sociology)
- 1952-1956 City College of New York; B.C.E. (cum laude, civil engineering)
- Substance Abuse: Diagnosis and treatment; Early identification and prevention; Behavioral family interventions
- Multi-level etiology and course of alcohol and other drug use disorders
- Neural circuitry and genetics associated with substance use disorders
- Lifespan development
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
- Professor of Psychology in Psychology, College of Literature, Science & the Arts
- Faculty Associate, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Trucco, E. M., Villafuerte, S., Heitzeg, M. M., Burmeister, M., & Zucker, R. A. (2014, in press). Susceptibility effects of GABRA2 variants and parental monitoring on externalizing behavior trajectories: Risk and protection are both conveyed by the minor allele. Development and Psychopathology.
- Zucker, R.A. (2014). Genes, Brain, Behavior and Context: The Developmental Matrix of Addictive Behavior. In S. F. Stoltenberg, (Ed.), Genes and the motivation to use substances; Nebraska Symposium on Motivation, 61 (Chapter 4, pp. 51-69). New York: Springer. doi: 10.007/978-I-4939-0653-6_4
- Jester, J.M., Wong, M.M., Cranford, J.A., Fitzgerald, H.E., & Zucker, R.A. (2014). Alcohol expectancies in childhood: Changes with the onset of drinking and ability to predict adolescent drunkenness and binge drinking. Addiction. doi: 10.1111/add.12704. [Epub ahead of print]
- Heitzeg, M.M., Villafuerte, S., Weiland, B.J., Enoch, M-A., Burmeister, M., Zubieta, J-K., & Zucker, R.A. (2014). Effect of GABRA2 Genotype on Development of Incentive-Motivation Circuitry in a Sample Enriched for Alcoholism Risk. Neuropsychopharmacology,. doi:10.1038/npp.2014.161. [Epub ahead of print]
- Buu, A., Dabrowska, A., Mygrants, M., Puttler, L.I., Jester, Jennifer, Zucker, R.A. (2014). Gender differences in the developmental risk for onset of alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana use and the effects of nicotine and marijuana use on alcohol outcomes. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 75(5), 850-858.