Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Robert A. Zucker, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.
Phone: (734) 232-0280
- 1958-1966 Harvard University; Ph.D. (clinical psychology)
- 1956-1958 U.C.L.A. (psychology and sociology)
- 1952-1956 City College of New York; B.C.E. (cum laude, civil engineering)
- Substance Abuse: Diagnosis and treatment; Early identification and prevention; Behavioral family interventions
- Multi-level etiology and course of alcohol and other drug use disorders
- Neural circuitry and genetics associated with substance use disorders
- Lifespan development
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
- Professor of Psychology in Psychology, College of Literature, Science & the Arts
- Faculty Associate, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Weiland, B.J., Wendy Yau,, W.Y., Welsh, R.A., Zucker, R.A., Zubieta, J.K., Heitzeg, M.M. (2012). Accumbens functional connectivity during reward mediates sensation-seeking and alcohol use in high-risk youth. Drug & Alcohol Dependence. 2012 Sept 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22958950.
- Weiland, B.J., Nigg, J.T., Welsh, R., Yau, W., Zubieta, J.-K., Zucker, R.A., & Heitzeg, M.M. (2012). Resiliency in adolescents at high-risk for substance abuse: flexible adaptation. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 36(8), 1355-64. PMID:22587751 PMCID:PMC3412943
- Buu, A., Wang, W., Schroder, S.A., Kalaida, N. L., Puttler, L. I. & Zucker, R. A. (2012). Developmental emergence of alcohol use disorder symptoms and their potential as early indicators for progression to alcohol dependence in a high risk sample: a longitudinal study from childhood to early adulthood. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 121(4), 897-908. PMID: 21842966. PMCID: PMC3560403
- Villafuerte, S., Viktorya, S., Stoltenberg, S., Zucker, R.A., Burmeister, M. (2013). Impulsiveness mediates the association between genetic variants in GABRA2 and lifetime of alcohol-related problems in a family sample enriched for alcoholism. Genes, Brain Behavior, 12(5), 525-531. PMID: 23566244. PMCID: PMC3700576
- Maslowsky, J., Schulenberg, J. & Zucker R. A. (2013, in press). Influence of conduct problems and depressive symptoms on adolescent substance use: Proximal versus distal effects. Developmental Psychology.