Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Monica N. Starkman, M.D., M.S. (Emerita)
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Consultation-liaison psychiatry
- Endocrine Disease
- Learning and Memory
- Mood and cortisol
- Brain imaging
- Associate Professor
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Peripheral catecholamine levels and the symptoms of anxiety: studies in patients with and without pheochromocytoma. Monica N. Starkman, Oliver G. Cameron, Randolph M. Nesse, Thomas Zelnik. Psychosomatic Medicine 52: 129-142, 1990.
- Decrease in cortisol reverses human hippocampal atrophy following treatment of Cushing's Disease. Monica N. Starkman,Bruno Biordani, Stephen Gebarski, Stanley Berent, M.Anthony Schork .Biological Psychiatry 46: 1595-1602, 1999.
- Elevated cortisol levels in Cushing's syndrome are associated with cognitive decrements. Monica N. Starkman, Bruno Giordani, Stanley Berent, M.Anthony Schork, David E. Schteingart Psychosomatic Medicine 63: 985-993, 2001.
- Association of right caudate volume increase with improvement in mood and ideation after treatment of Cushing's disease. Monica N. Starkman, Bruno Giordani, Stephen S. Gebarski, David E. Schteingart, Psychosomatic Medicine 64: 132 (2002).
- Neuropsychiatric Findings in Cushing Syndrome and Exogenous Glucocorticoid Administration Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America Volume 42, Issue 3: 477 (September 2013)
- The End of Miracles: a novel - She Writes Press, 2016 (about psychiatric illness and psychiatric treatment)