Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Ovide F. Pomerleau, Ph.D. (Emeritus)
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1969
- M.S., Columbia University, 1965
- B.A., Bowdoin College, 1962
- Genetics of smoking
- Smoking phenotypes
- Biobehavioral mechanisms
- Professor Emeritus of Psychology in Psychiatry
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Pomerleau OF, Pomerleau CS, Mehringer AM, Snedecor SM, Ninowski R, Sen A. (2005). Nicotine dependence, depression, and gender: Characterizing phenotypes based on withdrawal discomfort, response to smoking, and ability to abstain. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 7:91-102.
- Pomerleau OF, Pomerleau CS, Chu J, Kardia SLR (2007). Genome-wide linkage analysis for smoking-related genomic regions with replication in two ethnically diverse populations. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 9:955-958.
- Pomerleau OF, Burmeister M, Madden P, Long J, Swan GE, Kardia SLR (2007). Genetic research on complex behaviors: An examination of attempts to identify genes for smoking. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 9:883-901
- Sherva R, Wilhelmsen K, Pomerleau CS, Chasse SA, Rice JP, Snedecor SM, Bierut LJ, Neuman RJ, Pomerleau OF (2008). Association of a SNP in neuronal acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha 5 (CHRNA5) with positive experience ("pleasurable buzz") during initial smoking. Addiction 103:1544-1552.
- Bierut LJ, Stitzel JA, Wang JC, Hinrichs AL, Bertelsen S, Fox L, Grucza RA, Horton WJ, Kauwe JS, Morgan SD, Saccone NL, Saccone SF, Suei X, Breslau N, Budde J, Chase GA, Cloninger CR, Dick DM, Foroud T, Hatsukami D, Hesselbrock V, Johnson EO, Kramer J, Kuperman S, Madden PAF, Mayo K, Maxwell T, Nurnberger J, Pomerleau OF, Porjesz B, Reyes O, Schuckit M, Swan G, Tischfield JA, Edenberg HJ, Rice JP, Goate AM (2008). Variants in the nicotinic receptors alter the risk for nicotine dependence. American Journal of Psychiatry, 165:1163-1171.
- Pomerleau OF, Pomerleau CS, Snedecor SM, Finkenauer R, Mehringer AM, Langenecker SA, Sirevaag EJ (2009). Substance use, trait measures, and subjective response to nicotine in never-smokers stratified on parental smoking history and sex. Nicotine & Tobacco Resarch 11:1055-1066.