Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Alan M. Mellow, M.D., Ph.D.
Phone: (734) 222-4350
- Fellowship (Geriatric Psychopharmacology) - NIMH, 1985-88
- Residency (Psychiatry) - McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical. School, 1982-85
- Internship (Internal Medicine) - University of Chicago, 1981-82
- M.D., Northwestern University, 1981
- Ph.D. (Pharmacology), Northwestern University, 1980
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1973
- Geriatric Psychiatry/Psychopharmacology
- Education in Geriatric Psychiatry
- Mental Health Administration
- Experimental pharmacotherapies in Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
- Course and outcomes of psychiatric illness in the elderly
- Neurotransmitter function and pharmacotherapy in geriatric alcoholism
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- Director, Mental Health Service Line, Veterans Healthcare Network 11, Department of Veterans Affairs
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Oslin DW, Mellow AM. Neurotransmitter-based therapeutic strategies in late-life alcoholism and other addictions. In: Alcohol Problems and Aging, (NIAAA Research Monograph No. 33) , US DHHS, ed. by ESL Gomberg, AM Hegedus and RA Zucker, pp. 169-190, 1998.
- Maixner S, Mellow AM, Tandon R. Efficacy, tolerability and safety of neuroleptics in the elderly. J Clin Psychiatry 60 Suppl 8:29-41, 1999.
- Kales HC, Blow FC, Copeland LA, Bingham RC, Kammerer EE, Mellow AM. Healthcare utilization by older patients with co-existing dementia and depression. Am. J. Psychiatry 156:550-556, 1999.
- Teri L, Logsdon RG, Peskind E, Raskind M, Weiner MF, Tractenberg RE, Foster NL, Schneider LS, Sano M, Whitehouse P, Tariot P, Mellow AM, Auchus AP, Grundman M, Thomas RG, Schafer K, Thal LJ. Treatment of agitation in Alzheimer's Disease: A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial Neurology 55:1271-1278, 2000.