Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Helen C. Kales, M.D.
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship: University of Michigan
- Psychiatry Residency: University of Michigan
- Medical School: University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- College: Bucknell University, Lewisburg PA, Summa cum Laude
- Late-life Depression
- Coexisting Dementia and Depression
- Depression and dementia
- Racial differences in late-life mental health care
- Late-life depression care adherence
- Antipsychotics and mortality
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
- Director, Program for Positive Aging
- Associate Director for Mental Health and Aging Research, U-M Geriatrics Center
- Research Scientist, VA Center for Clinical Management Research
- Research Scientist, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Kales HC, Gitlin LN, Lyketsos CG. Prevention, assessment and management of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: The need for a tailored patient- and caregiver- centered approach. (Invited Special Article). The British Medical Journal, 350:h369, 2015.
- Kales HC, Gitlin LN, Lyketsos K for the Detroit Expert Panel on the Assessment and Management of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Dementia. Management of neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia in clinical settings: Recommendations from a multidisciplinary expert panel. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 62(4):762-9, 2014.
- Kales HC, Nease DM, Sirey J, Zivin K, Kim HM, Kavanagh, J, Lynn S, Chiang C, Valenstein M, Neighbors H, Blow FC. Racial differences in adherence to antidepressant treatment in later life. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. Oct 12, 2012, epublication ahead of print.
- Kales HC, Kim HM, Zivin K, Valenstein, M, Seyfried LS, Chiang C, Cunningham F, Schneider L, Blow FC. Risk of mortality among individual antipsychotics in patients with dementia. American Journal of Psychiatry 169 (1): 71, 2012.