Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Helen C. Kales, M.D.
Phone: (734) 764-3168
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship: University of Michigan
- Psychiatry Residency: University of Michigan
- Medical School: University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- College: Bucknell University, Lewisburg PA, Summa cum Laude
- Late-life Depression
- Coexisting Dementia and Depression
- Depression and dementia
- Racial differences in late-life mental health care
- Late-life depression care adherence
- Antipsychotics and mortality
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
- Director, Program for Positive Aging
- Associate Director for Mental Health and Aging Research, U-M Geriatrics Center
- Research Scientist, VA Center for Clinical Management Research
- Research Scientist, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Kales HC, Neighbors HW, Valenstein M, Blow FC, McCarthy JF, Ignacio RV, Taylor KK, Gillon L, Mellow AM: Effect of race and sex on primary care physicians’ diagnosis and treatment of late-life depression. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 53: 777-784, 2005.
- Kales HC, Chen P, Blow FC, Welsh DE, Mellow AM: Rates of clinical depression diagnosis, functional impairment and nursing home placement in coexisting dementia and depression. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 13: 441-449, 2005.
- Kales HC, Neighbors HW, Blow FC, Taylor KK, Gillon L, Welsh DE, Maixner SM, Mellow AM: Race, gender, and psychiatrists’ diagnosis and treatment of major depression among elderly patients. Psychiatric Services 56: 721-728, 2005.
- Kales HC, Mellow AM: Race and depression: Does race affect the diagnosis and treatment of late-life depression? Geriatrics 61: 18-21, 2006.
- Kales HC, Valenstein M, Kim HM, McCarthy JF, Ganoczy D, Blow FC: Mortality risk in patients with dementia treated with antipsychotics versus other psychiatric medications. The American Journal of Psychiatry 164: 1568-1576, 2007.