Department of Psychiatry Faculty
Frederic C. Blow, Ph.D.
- Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania; Ph.D.
- University of Maine at Orono, Orono, Maine; M.A. (Psychology)
- University of Maine at Orono, Orono, Maine; B.A. (High Honors and High Distinction in Psychology)
- Serious Mental Illness
- Alcohol Abuse
- Older Adults
- Mental health services research
- Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School
- Director, Mental Health Services Outcomes and Translation Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Michigan
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Blow FC, Barry KL, Walton MA, Chermack ST, Bingham CR, Ignacio RV, Strecher VJ. The efficacy of two brief intervention strategies among injured at-risk drinkers in the Emergency Department: Impact of tailored messaging and brief advice. J Stud Alc 67(4):568-78, 2006.
- Blow, FC, Serras AM, Barry KL. Late-life depression and alcoholism. Current Psychiatry Reports. 9(1):568-78., February 2007.
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Kales HC, Valenstein M, Ganoczy D, Ignacio RV. Age comparison of treatment adherence with antipsychotic medications among individuals with bipolar disorder. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 22(10):992-8, 2007.
- Kreyenbuhl JA, Valenstein M, McCarthy JF, Ganoczy D, Blow FC. Long-term antipsychotic polypharmacy in the VA health system: patient characteristics and treatment patterns. Psychiatr Serv 58(4):489-95, April 2007.
- Satre DD, Blow FC, Chi FW, Weisner C. Gender differences in seven year alcohol and drug treatment outcomes among older adults. American J Addictions, 16:216-21, 2007.
- Walton MA, Cunningham RM, Chermack ST, Blow FC, Maio R, Weber J. Gender differences in violence history among an injured patients in an Urban Emergency Department. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 26(3), 57-71. 2007.
- McCarthy JF, Blow FC, Valenstein M, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Barry KL, Hudson TV, Ignacio RV. Veterans Affairs Health System and mental health treatment retention among patients with serious mental illness: evaluating accessibility and availability barriers. Health Serv Res. 42(3pt1):1042-60, June, 2007.
- Kales HC, Valenstein MA, Kim HM, McCarthy JF, Ganoczy D, Cunningham F, Blow FC. Mortality risk in patients with dementia treated with antipsychotics versus other psychiatric medications. Am J Psychiatry 164(10):1568-76, Oct. 2007.