Anxiety Disorders Treatment Clinic
James L. Abelson, M.D., Ph.D., Director
Joseph Himle, PhD, Associate Director
We have been treating anxiety disorders within an anxiety focused subspecialty clinic since the mid-1970s. We are one of the oldest such clinics in the country. We have been committed since our inception to the integrated utilization of both psychological and pharmacological approaches to the treatment of problematic anxiety and stress. Elsewhere, anxiety clinics often developed within Departments of Psychology and emphasized Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies (CBT) for treating anxiety or they developed within Departments of Psychiatry and emphasized the use of medications to treat anxiety. We take particular pride in the fact that we have always been staffed by social workers, nurse practitioners, psychologists, and psychiatrists. We have always provided both CBT and medications, alone or together in an integrated fashion, allowing us to best address the individualized needs and wishes of our patients.
- We are a regional referral center and have been recognized for leadership on a national level.
- We provide state-of-the-art psychopharmacological expertise.
- In addition to psychopharmacological expertise, we also offer a highly specialized Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment (CBT) Program. Specific CBT interventions are available for Panic Disorder, Social Phobia, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Specific Phobias. These are highly structured, time-limited treatments with high success rates. Controlled trials indicate equal short-term efficacy with medication, and for some disorders superior long-term outcomes.
- Combined medication and CBT treatment may be advantageous for many patients and is readily available within our clinic.
- We offer CBT in both group and individual formats.
To schedule an initial appointment:
Depression Center & Ambulatory Psychiatry