In addition to core curriculum, residents in the UM/VA Consortium in the Clinical Neuropsychology specialty area have several unique learning opportunities, ranging from targeted coursework to visiting lectures. Educational opportunities include both mandatory training requirements, designed to ensure smooth and consistent progress throughout the training program, and optional training opportunities that can be pursued to enrich the training experience to the extent that time is available.
- Weekly UM Journal Club (case conferences and presentations on topics of clinical and research interest). Sample topics have included: Movement Disorders, Degenerative Conditions, Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric Neuroimaging, Frontal lobular degeneration, Cerebrovascular Disease, Toxin Exposure, Developmental disorders (i.e., ADHD, LD), Aphasias, Neuroanatomy
- Weekly VAAAHS Case Conference (in conjunction with the Clinical Psychology Internship Program at the VA Healthcare System)
- Weekly Grand Rounds, Psychiatry and/or Neurology
- Weekly Staff Meeting
- Weekly Postdoctoral Forum
- Monthly Bioethics Conference (Mandatory Twice Per Year)
Optional as time permits:
- Neuropathology Conference (Brain autopsies)
- Lectures in Neuroanatomy
- Neuroimaging Meetings
- Neuroradiological Conference
- There are numerous other department specific conferences, such as Surgery, Cardiology, Radiology, and Institute of Gerontology and can be found on the various University of Michigan websites. Residents are welcome to attend.
- Invited Lecturers throughout the university and VAAAHS
Residents are provided with the opportunity to perform supervision of undergraduate students who work with faculty and residents on a wide variety of research projects. In addition, clinical supervision opportunities of predoctoral practicum students and interns are also available. Residents may also provide assistance in teaching seminars with faculty members. Residents also take part in an annual half-day workshop in development of supervision skills.
Principal Training Faculty
Kenneth Adams, Ph.D., ABPP
Stanley Berent, Ph.D., ABPP
Linas Bieliauskas, Ph.D., ABPP
Henry “Gus” Buchtel, Ph.D.
Bruno Giordani, Ph.D.
Benjamin Hampstead, Ph.D., ABPP
Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
Elise Hodges, Ph.D.
David Marshall, Ph.D
Carol Persad, Ph.D, ABPP
Steve Putnam, Ph.D.
Michael Ranson, Ph.D.
Kelly Ryan, Ph.D
Robert Spencer, Ph.D.
Kristen Votruba, Ph.D., ABPP-CN