For UMHS Primary Care Providers
- We are constantly striving to maintain ready access to and full utilization of our services by UMHS primary care patients. We greatly regret the fact that staffing limitations and high levels of demand result in significant wait times for open slots in our new patient evaluation schedule (varying from 1 to 6 weeks).
- We have been searching for ways to improve access for those patients most in need of rapid entry and for priority populations like those from UMHS primary care sites.
- We are particularly eager to facilitate utilization of our specialized Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment (CBT) Program. We feel strongly that patients with anxiety disorders should have access to this type of treatment and it is not readily available elsewhere.
- CBT is usually a critical component of a complete treatment program for patients with Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobias, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. It can improve long-term outcomes. It can work quickly and help patients maintain functioning even when symptoms are severe. It can be particularly important for those patients who, for one reason or another, cannot or will not take medication.
- We would like those patients who really need quick intervention, and particularly those who need CBT, to have more rapid access to our clinicians.
- We are therefore offering you an alternative pathway through which we will try to provide quicker service to those of your patients who really need it.
- If you have a patient you would like us to try to get seen more quickly than the routine referral path permits, please send us (see contact information below) a brief description of the patient and the need. Include the patient's registration number and contact information.
- We will try to have the patient contacted by a clinician (by phone) within the week and scheduled for an evaluation within 10 days.
- Please feel free to send us feedback on how this system works. We are always open to suggestions about ways to better meet the needs of your patients.