Health Services, Translations & Outcomes Faculty
Martha Sajatovic, M.D.
- University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio (Resident in Psychiatry)
- Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio (M.D.)
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (B.S., Biology)
- The study of traditionally hard-to-treat populations with bipolar disorder
- Psychopharmacology of psychosis and mood disorders
- Psychiatric Rating Scales
Academic, Administrative and Clinical Appointments:
- Director, Geropsychiatry Program, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Department Psychiatry
- Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Research, University Hospitals of Cleveland
- Professor, Department of Psychiatry and of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve, University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
- Attending in Geropsychiatry, University Hospitals of Cleveland
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Hatters-Friedman S, Strakowki J, Sajatovic M. Bipolar Disorder in Women. The Female Patient. 32: 15-24, July 2007.
- Sajatovic M, Jenkins JH. Is antipsychotic medication stigmatizing for people with mental illness? International Review of Psychiatry 19(2) 107-12, 2007.
- Madhusoodanan S, Cuni L, Brenner R, Sajatovic M, Palekar N. Chronic Leukocytosis associated with clozapine use – a case series. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 68(3) 484-8, 2007.
- Sajatovic M, Valenstein M, Blow F, Ganozcy D, Ignacio R. Treatment adherence with lithium and anticonvulsant medications among patients with bipolar disorder. Psychiatric Services, 58(6): 855-863, June 2007.
- Stankowski J, Hatters Friedman S, and Sajatovic M. An updated review of the guidelines for drug treatments for bipolar disorder. Advances in Schizophrenia and Clinical Psychiatry, 3(1):13-18, 2007.
- Sajatovic M, Jenkins JH, Safavi R, West JA, Cassidy KA, Meyer WJ, Calabrese JR. Personal and societal construction of illness among individuals with rapid cycling BPD: A life-trajectory perspective. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (In press)
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Kales HC, Valenstein M, Ganoczy D, Ignacio RV. Age comparison of treatment adherence with antipsychotic medications among individuals with bipolar disorder. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (In Press)
- Sajatovic M, Chen PJ, Dines P, Shirley E. Psychoeducational approaches to medication adherence in patients with bipolar disorder. Disease Management and Health Outcomes. (In Press)
- Sajatovic M, Ramsey E, Nanry R, Thompson T. Lamotrigine therapy in elderly patients with epilepsy, bipolard disorder or dementia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (In Press)
- Sajatovic M, Fenn H, Chen P, Dines P, Schlachet R. Treatment considerations in elderly bipolar patients. Clinical Approaches in Bipolar Disorder. (In Press)
- Loue S, Sajatovic M. Research with Severely Mentally Ill Latinas: Successful Recruitment and Retention Strategies. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2008; 10(1): (In Press).
- Sajatovic M, Coconcea N, Ignacio RV, Blow FC, Hays RW, Cassidy KA, Meyer WJ. Aripiprazole therapy in older adults with bipolar disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. (In Press)
- Sajatovic M, Coconcea N, Ignacio RV, Blow FC, Hays RW, Cassidy KA, Meyer WJ. Adjunct extended-release divalproex in late life schizophrenia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (In Press)
- Loue S, Sajatovic M. Auditory and visual hallucinations in a sample of severely mentally ill Puerto Rican women: an examination of the cultural context. Mental Health Culture and Religion (In Press)