Health Services, Translations & Outcomes Faculty
Sonia Anita Duffy, Ph.D., R.N.
- University of Illinois, Public Health, Chicago, IL ( Ph.D., Cancer Prevention and Control Concentration; Community Health Sciences major; Epidemiology minor)
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (M.S., Community Health Nursing, Home Health Care)
- Wayne State University, Detroit, MI (B.S.N., Psychiatric Nursing)
- Health Behavior and Quality of Life in Head and Neck Cancer Patients
- Care and Management of Depressed Diabetes Patients
- Interaction between Smoking, Alcohol, and Depression
- Inpatient Smoking Cessation
Academic and Research Appointments:
- Research Investigator, Health Services Research and Development, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- Research Investigator, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Michigan
- Research Investigator, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan
- Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
Recent or Representative Publications:
- Duffy S, Jackson F, Schim S, Ronis D, Fowler K, Karvonen C: Racial/ethnic preferences, gender preferences, and perceived discrimination related to end-of-life care. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 54:150-157, 2006.
- Cheng SS, Terrell JE, Bradford CR, Ronis DL, Fowler KE, Prince ME, Teknos TN, Wolf GT, Duffy SA. Clinical predictors of feeding tube placement in head and neck cancer patients. Archives of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, 132:655-661, 2006.
- Lambert MT, Sampson N, Copeland LA, Duffy SA: New-onset diabetes and body mass index in veteran’s prescribed atypical antipsychotic medications. Progress in NeuroPsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry, 30: 919-923, 2006.
- Duffy SA, Jackson F, Schim S, Ronis D, Fowler K, Karvonen C: Differences in veteran’s and non-veteran’s end-of-life preferences: A pilot study. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 9:1099-1105, 2006.
- Duffy S, Jackson F, Schim S, Ronis D, Fowler K: Cultural concepts at the end of life. Nursing Older People, 18:10-14, 2006.
- Duffy SA, Ronis DL, Valenstein M, Lambert M, Bishop C, Fowler KE, Gregory, L, Bishop, C, Myers, LL, Blow, FC, Terrell JE: A tailored smoking, alcohol, and depression intervention for head and neck cancer patients, Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 15 (11), 2203-2208, 2006.
- Duffy SA, Ronis DL, Fowler KE, Valenstein M, Lambert M, Bishop C, Terrell JE, University of Michigan Head and Neck Cancer Team. Depressive symptoms, smoking, alcohol use, and quality of life among head and neck cancer patients, Psychosomatics. 48 (2), 142-148, 2007.
- Mukerji SS, Duffy, SA, Fowler, KE, Khan M, Ronis DL, Terrell JE. Comorbidities in head and neck cancer: Agreement between self-report and chart review. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 136, 536-542, 2007.**
- Allen C, Duffy S, Teknos T, Islam M, Chen Z, Albert PS, Wolf G, Van Waes C: Nuclear factor-кB-related serum factors as longitudinal biomarkers of response and survival in advanced oropharyngeal carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res;13 (11),3182-3190, 2007.
- Duffy SA, Copeland L, Hopp F, Zalenski R. Diagnostic classifications and resource utilization of decedents served by the Department of Veterans Affairs. J Palliat Med. 10(5), 1137-1145, 2007.
- Duffy SA, Khan MJ, Ronis DL, Fowler KE, Gruber S, Wolf G, Terrell JE: Health behaviors of head and neck cancer patients one year after diagnosis. Head and Neck. 30, 93-102, 2008
- Duffy SA, Karvonen C, Hermann C, Reeves P, Smith P: In-hospital smoking cessation programs: What do VA patients and staff want and need? (In press, Applied Nursing Research).
- Ronis DL, Terrell JE, Fowler KE, Khan, MJ, Duffy SA. Changes in quality of life of head and neck cancer patients over 1 year, (In press, Archives of Otolaryngology).
- Djuric Z, Fowler KE, Ren J, Ronis DL, Duffy SA. Levels of fat-soluble micronutrients and 2,6-cyclolycopene-1,5-diol in head and neck cancer patients (In press, International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research).
- Duffy SA, Taylor JMG, Terrell JE, Islam M, Yuan Z, Fowler KE, Wolf G, Teknos T: IL-6 predicts recurrence among head and neck cancer patients (In press, Cancer).